Dynamic Strength Physiotherapy is pleased to bring you a one-day workshop covering all the essentials on working with new mums.
This workshop is perfect for you if:
– you work with women (who doesn’t!?)
– you want to know how to assess for diastasis recti and then figure out what to do with what you find!
– you have postnatal clients who have some low back or pelvic pain and you want to learn how to help them through exercise
– you don’t know much about pelvic floor dysfunction, but you want to learn more about how to screen for issues and work with your clients to optimise their recovery (in conjunction with the women’s health physios)
– you want to learn about the effect of pregnancy and birth on postnatal outcomes
– you want to take your skills up to the next level and provide an awesome, holistic service that empowers women to get back into doing all the things that they love…without pain or incontinence!
Part 1. Breaking down the myths and creating the program.
- the common myths around postnatal exercise that exist in the health and fitness industries and how YOU can help bring evidence-based programming.
- how you can hone your listening and coaching skills in order to best help your client achieve her goals.
- how to stay within your scope of practice and ideas on how you can create a team of health and fitness professionals around you in order to deliver the best results and get more referrals.
- figuring out what is your business culture and ethos and how can you create a fabulous business, staying true to your beliefs and helping more women in your community
Part 2. What is unique to the postnatal period?
- the benefits of exercise after birth – both physically and psychologically. Why you are in the best position to help create lasting change in your community.
- why you NEED to know about your client’s pregnancy and birth story – how this impacts on the programs that you create.
- the warning signs of when things are going wrong and when to refer onwards
- pelvic health – pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence in particular. What screening tools should you be using? How can you screen and help clients with pelvic health concerns? Why a collaborative approach is the best for all concerned.
- practical session – cueing ideas for targeting the pelvic floor muscles and how to think about functional loading the pelvic floor.
Part 3. Diastasis rectus abdominis (DRA) – screening and rehabilitation
- what is diastasis recti and who gets it?
- practical session – how do we measure DRA? What is a significant gap? When should we refer to physios?
- practical session – exercise programming for abdominal wall. What factors need to be taken into account? How to monitor using touch and feel.
Part 4: Putting it all together
- postnatal screening assessment, goal setting. How does nutrition, sleep and stress impact postnatal recovery
- Practical session– alignment, breathing, intra-abdominal pressure
- pregnancy and breastfeeding hormones in the postnatal period- what does the research tell us? Do we need to be careful with our programming?
- case study presentation
- marketing ideas – how to create your tribe without using sleazy marketing tactics.
Please note: there will be some palpation (touching) of the abdomen during the session. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, then please let Marika know prior to the start of the session.
12th May – North Beach, PERTH. Book your ticket here.